In 1880, the congregation contracted for the installation of an organ to be built by Derrick Felgemacher of Erie , Pennsylvania . This instrument was installed in chambers divided to right and to the left of the chancel of the church, and served until 1926 when the Möller Company rebuilt and refurbished it with the inclusion of new wind chests and a new console.
In the fall of 1968, a number of organ companies made surveys and recommendations regarding the possibility of a new instrument for Christ Church . At this time, the Möller Company recommended an entirely new instrument to be placed in the gallery as being the liturgically and historically correct position for the choir and organ. Such placement of the organ also guarantees ideal projection for music.
During the spring and summer of 1969, a specification was determined, along with a physical design. The entire instrument was to be encased to insure a cohesive ensemble sound; a special encased division (called a “Rückpositiv”) was to be placed on the gallery rail which would provide special support for the congregation located below. The design of the Rückpositiv was to be inspired by the case of the Tannenberg organ originally installed on the gallery at Christ Church 150 years earlier.
The organ reflects a renaissance in American organ building. It follows the “Werkprinzipal” specification design in that the principal pitches are placed on the 16’ level in the pedal; the 8’ level in the Great; the 4’ level in the Rückpositiv; and the 2’ level in the Swell, allowing the tiered effect and clarity of line so necessary for polyphonic music. The organ is totally unenclosed with the exception of the expressive Swell which is fitted with shades that open a full ninety degrees allowing for maximum egress of sound. This is the first instrument in central Pennsylvania to adhere to these strict principles of organ building first expressed following the Reformation in North Germany . The organ was dedicated in 1971.
The Möller Company was committed to the crafting of a useful, beautiful adornment for Christ Church – an instrument which would provide enrichment to the musical life of York and central Pennsylvania as well. We trust that the result of these labors will long enhance the worship life of Christ Church and inspire all who experience it in both sight and sound.
GREAT ORGAN RŰCKPOSITIV
Prinzipal 8’ 61 Pipes Holzgedackt 8’ 61 Pipes
Bordun 8’ 61 Pipes Prinzipal 4’ 61 Pipes
Oktave 4’ 61 Pipes Blockflöte 2’ 61 Pipes
Weitprinzipal 2’ 61 Pipes Quinte 1 – 1/3’ 61 Pipes
Mixtur (1-1/3’) IV Ranks 244 Pipes Zimbel (1/2’) III Ranks 183 Pipes
Trompete 8’ 61 Pipes Krummhorn 8’ 61 Pipes
SWELL ORGAN PEDAL ORGAN
Rohrbordun 16’ 12 Pipes Prinzipal 16’ 32 Pipes
Rohrflöte 8’ 61 Pipes Rohrbordun 16’ 12 Pipes
Gemshorn 8’ 61 Pipes Oktav 8’ 32 Pipes
Gemshorn Celeste (T.C.) 8’ 49 Pipes Rohrflöte (Sw) 8’ 12 Pipes
Spitzflöte 4’ 61 Pipes Choralbass 4’ 32 Pipes
Prinzipal 2’ 61 Pipes Rauschquinte (2 – 2/3’) II Ranks 64 Pipes
Sesquialtera (2 – 2/3’) II Ranks 98 Pipes Aculta (1 – 1/3’) II Ranks 24 Pipes
Scharf (1’) III Ranks 183 Pipes Posaune 16’ 32 Pipes
Trompette 8’ 61 Pipes Krummhorn (Pos.) 4’
Schalmei 4’ 61 Pipes
Pistons No. 1-6 affecting Great Great to Pedal
Pistons No. 1-6 affecting Swell Swell to Pedal
Pistons No. 1-6 affecting Positiv Positiv to Pedal
Pistons No. 1-12 affecting full organ (duplicated by toe studs) Swell to Great 16’
Toe Studs No. 1-2-3-4 affecting Pedal Swell to Great 8’
General Cancel Positiv to Great
Sforzanado (duplicated by toe stud) Swell to Positiv
Balanced Crescendo Pedal Swell to Swell 16’
Zymbelstern Unison off (Sw.)
99 levels of memory Swell to Swell 4’
Services at Christ Lutheran Church are accompanied by traditional music featuring our famous organ, first installed in 1880.